Swarovski Rivoli

Well, I was going to try to take pictures of all of the things I have already made, post them, and then start updating with the new things. But! I am a terrible procrastinator, and going on vacation certainly didn't help me get motivated in that respect. ("Must go to the beach! What's this, a bead store? Oh, we should go see the wild horses! Is that a geode shop? Let's go~ fly~ a kite~ Up to the highest heights~" Hee.) Ah well.

I thought I'd share some new things instead, and I'll eventually get the time/inclination to post my "old" things. I haven't posted anything due to thinking I should post older stuff first, and ... well, that seems kind of silly. I'm constantly making new things and would rather talk about those anyway.

Last month, I took a class with a lovely lady named Danielle Payette (www.inlightcreations.com) and learned how to bezel a Swarovski rivoli. This is what we made in the class. They're made with a crystal AB rivoli, light blue copper-lined seed beads, erinite bicones, and sterling silver earring post findings. Each one took about a little bit more than an hour. Lovely results, don't you think? (Note: You can click on each picture to see it in full size.)

Well, a few days after that class, I decided to try making another one, this time with an amethyst rivoli, light blue purple-lined seed beads, and amethyst bicones. The seed beads were a little bit wider than the ones I worked with in class, so is it has a more bubble~y look. I haven't decided how to finish it off yet.

On Wednesday, I was looking through my bead stash for something, and came across my other rivolis. Oh dear. I had my delicas out, and thought I'd try using those instead of 'normal' seed beads. Let's just say they work well! I expected that they would, since they're great for peyote stitch anyway, but I was very pleased with the spiral I could achieve on the back of the rivoli. That was a nice discovery; it'll be great for earrings.

I started off with a rose rivoli. For some reason, I decided that I wanted to go super-pink, which... really isn't my normal inclination. I chose to use "transparent raspberry" delicas and rose bicones. I actually love the results, which surprised me. Here's the pendant I made, in a small spot of sunshine. I need to decide if I'm going to do a stringing project for it or not. I don't like how it looks on a chain, so I probably will.

After I finished that, I went a little bit crazy. The earrings aren't finished, because I need to decide on findings. Fuchsia niobium? I could go all-out pink, couldn't I? Or something a bit more tame...? (Nah!)


After I did the pink set, I decided to do something a little bit different. I started with a sapphire rivoli, and sapphire bicones. I didn't really want to have another monocromatic piece, so I pulled out some very pale orange matte delicas, and some darker "pumpkin" matte delicas to accent each bicone. I left out a couple of the side bicones, and added a dangle/swag on the bottom instead. I took a picture of the side/back of it as well (see below), so you can get a general idea of what that looks like. It's pretty much the same on all of the pink rivoli pieces as well, but they have more bicones on the sides.

All of the crystals (rivoli, bicones) I talk about in this post are Swarovski crystals. I started out typing in Swarovski everywhere it applied, and it was just getting a bit excessive, so I thought I'd just make one note at the end.

I love Swarovski crystals. They have a lovely sparkle, and they come in too many colours, shades, and finishes to count. When I saw the rivoli collection, I just fell in love with them. I bought a few right away, despite not really knowing what to do with them. They're gorgeous. My pictures absolutely do not do them justice. I'm so glad Danielle was giving a class on bezeling these beauties!

Sunday, June 14, 2009

4 Comments:

Kokopelli said...

Hi,

I came over from BD, when I saw you finally have your own blog. And I'm proud to be the first follower (and leave the first comment). :-) Your rivoli bezels are great! Keep on! So much sparkle and beautiful colors.

Aiyleta said...

Thank you so much, Dagi! ^^

I did a little jig when I saw I had a comment, and I was pleasantly surprised to see it was from you! :D

I should get around to posting more things soon, so hopefully it won't be a terribly boring blog to follow. ^-~

Unknown said...

Hi, I was browsing for beading supplies and stumbled into your blog via a forum... you have some interesting designs here!!! I am new to beading and am looking for some good online stores where I could order beading supplies to go ahead would you care to suggest some stores?

Aiyleta said...

Hi there Nicename!

I'm so sorry that I haven't responded to your comment sooner. I haven't looked at my blog in far too long, apparently! I hope you've found some good sources by now, but I thought I'd post some of my favourites for you, just in case. I'm afraid I don't remember the proper coding to make links, but you can just copy and paste them into your browser.

www.firemountaingems.com : is great because they have a wide variety of products, and they have a volume discount system unlike most of the ones I've seen elsewhere. They allow you to mix and match your purchases, so that you don't have to buy multiples of the same product to get the discount.

www.limabeads.com : has a lovely selection of beads, and they have something they call "Fresh Picks," which allow you to see a set of beads together, to get a general idea for a project, or whatever. Everyone who has an account can make them, so there's a lot of inspiration to be found, too.

www.beadinpath.com : has great vintage and contemporary beads. I personally love their glass and lucite sections the most, but they have lots of other ogle-worthy stuff. :p

www.artbeads.com : has a great selection, too. I often find things there that I can't find elsewhere.

There are so many great websites out there, but it would take me hours to do a mini-review of them all, so I'll just list a few more for you to check out. I'm not sure what kind of beading you're doing, but I hope you can find something that interests you!

www.beyondbeadery.com (great selection of hard-to-find crystals, among other things)
www.bluemud.com (great prices on crystals)
www.jewelrysupply.com
www.rings-things.com
www.shipwreckbeads.com (great seed bead collection)
www.etsy.com (search supplies)

I would recommend that you sign up for email notifications for sites that you like, because that's the best way to find out about sales and promotions.

Another thing you might want to try is buying (or looking at) a beading magazine, and checking out anything that catches your eye in the ads. It's the one kind of magazine where I actually appreciate the ads everywhere! ;D

If you do happen to come back and see this, please let me know if this was helpful! ^^